Monday, February 8, 2010

After boy's slaying, brother missing for 19 years.

On April 16th, 1990 two brothers wanted to play outside with other kids in their neighborhood in Richmond, Virginia. Their mother said yes and off they went. After a half hour, their mother (Tambar Ellis) went to call her sons in for dinner, she received no response. Panic arose and after searching for 45 minutes with no success, she called the police. All through that night and through the next two days, they searched. On the third day, the boys' father received the news, the oldest boy, Basil who was 8, was found in a landfill. He had been found by the truck driver who noticed his body sticking out from a plastic bag. He had been stabbed in the back twice, gagged, bound with duct tape and after his death his skull had been fractured. Now, investigators are doing DNA tests, which weren't available when Basil was found, hoping they will lead to some answers. 19 years later, the younger brother, Jamal who was 7, is still missing. However, no one has given up hope, the detective said, "I think there's a strong possibility that Jamal's alive, and I think we will find the person who's responsible."

This is a heartbreaking story, it almost brings you to tears. When I was younger, I never really paid much attention to the news and things that were going on, so I'm not super familiar with stories like this. Yes, I have heard of them happening before, but this is the first one that I'm really old enough to fully understand. I can't even being to imagine what their mother and father are going through. First the panic, then extreme sadness after finding Basil and now...? No matter what it is that they are going through I'm thrilled to hear that they have not given up hope. There have been other stories of people being found after multiple years, and a person can't just simply disappear off of the planet, so he has to be around somewhere, the only trouble is finding him... On another hand, it's horrible to think that there are people out there who would do this kind of horrible thing. I've heard bad stories before, but when they involve kids, they are even worse. Why would someone want to harm little kids, what did they ever do to deserve that kind of fate? I just don't understand. I'm glad that the family has done multiple things to get the word out there about their missing son, and once again I'm glad that they haven't given up hope! If we all pray and keep this family in our thoughts, we can help solve this case for good, and just maybe reunite this hopeful family.

1 comment:

  1. This is awful! I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to do that... I really feel for the parents. It's got to be terrible to deal with this. When your child is just missing that's one thing, but then finding the dead body of your son... unthinkable... I am very sad to read this.

    ReplyDelete